by Janet Murphy
This article first appeared in the Chesterfield and District Local History Society Newsletter ..
The National Westminster Bank at the junction of Glumangate and the High Street is the latest in the line of banks to exist on this site. The first was Crompton, Newton & Co., also known as the Scarsdale & High Peak Bank. In 1877 the name changed to Crompton & Evans Union Bank. This firm was absorbed into Parr’s Bank in 1914 and then into the London, County & Westminster Bank in 1918 before becoming the Westminster Bank in 1923 and the National Westminster Bank in 1968.
The original Crompton & Union Bank building and the adjacent Star Inn were demolished to make way for a new building which was opened in 1894. The description in the Derbyshire Times was euphoric.
Those who have been absent from Chesterfield for any extended period of time will notice the vast improvement which has taken place during the last couple or three years in the region of the Market Square.… Continue Reading →